Sponsor Your Parents & Grandparents
Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship in Canada: A Quick Overview
Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) facilitates the permanent residence of parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- Lottery System: Potential sponsors express their interest, after which a random selection occurs.
- Application Timeline: Chosen sponsors get 60 days to submit a complete sponsorship application.
- Age & Residency: 18 years or older and living in Canada.
- Status: Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Income Requirement: Must have met the stipulated minimum income for three consecutive years. Income from a co-signer can be combined.
- Financial Commitment: Sponsors commit to support their parents/grandparents for 20 years, which includes repaying any social benefits the sponsored individual might claim.
Who Qualifies for Sponsorship?
- Direct parents and grandparents, whether by blood or adoption.
- Step-parents or step-grandparents, if applicable due to a sponsor’s parent’s divorce or separation.
- Siblings are eligible only if they are deemed dependent children.
Alternative – Super Visa: If PGP doesn’t work out, the Parents and Grandparents Super Visa offers an alternative. It lets the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents visit Canada for 2 years per entry, with a validity of up to 10 years.
The PGP allows Canadians to reunite with their elders, ensuring family ties remain strong and integral to the country’s multicultural fabric.
Schedule a meeting
Let’s discuss the details
Schedule a meeting at one of the offices or online. A lawyer will analyze the situation, calculate the cost and help you find a solution based on your goals.